Thursday, August 28, 2008

Un nouveau parc pour James

We have arrived in Switzerland intact and with some measure of sanity, although Becky was teetering on the edge of psychotic break due primarily to a lack of sleep. James started off the journey as his usual curious self. However, as time ticked on, and the realization that he would be confined to a car seat for a considerable amount of time slowly set in, he began to protest, and protest he did. For the first time we were "those people" with the crying kid that wouldn't do anything to keep him quiet. Basically, we used the airplane as a public "Ferberizing" forum. After about two hours of flight, and multiple nursing episodes, James finally managed to fall asleep, and did so for about 5 hours (of a total 8.5 hour flight) He did so with some considerable help from his personal milk fountain. The three hour layover in London did not help with matters.

I should mention that instaed of bringing our stroller up to us at the gate after arriving in London, they (the airline) decided that they would treat it as baggage and sent it to the baggage claim. That meant that we got to tow our heavy carry ons, including a car seat, through endless corridors, pass through customs, claim the stroller, and wait for a bus to take us to our connecting terminal. James was a sport for most of the time, but about 15 minutes before the flight, he had a meltdown. The only thing that worked....you guessed it, the fountain. That knocked him out for the entire flight.

But since he hadn't gotten a good night sleep, he let us know his displeasure when we immediately stopped to open a bank account at the UBS (United Bank of Switzerland) branch in the airport.

We arrived, however, with no major problems. All of our bags arrived, we maintained our sanity, and we are looking forward to new adventures.

Speaking of which, James found a new park here in Geneva. It is almost as close as the park in Allen. We put him in his new Swiss swing, but I think he was a little sad that his friends Dougie and Elena weren't there.


8 comments:

Brittany Roscheck said...

Oh he is looking as cute as ever! I can't wait to come over there and visit. Since I'm not pregnant I'm gonna get some money together and I am determined to come visit over there. By the way, what is the time difference? What time can I call you at? love ya

Crystal said...

A little sad? I think it's major sad that he's not with his friends. :-(

Emily said...

I am so glad you made it safe and that James did pretty well. Keep us updated with pictures and messages, and let us know when you have an address! Miss you.

Teryl said...

Bon jour mes ami. I'm glad you arrived intact. Go eat a piece of really good chocolate just for me.

Stephanie Johnson said...

Glad you're there and still sane! That swing looks like he could fall out with all of the big spaces in the rails. Enjoy getting settled in!

Shelley said...

Yeah!! You made it! Let the adventures begin! Can't wait for more pics of your surroundings...maybe even one of your lonesome toilet.

Tamara said...

i'm so glad you made it and with some measure of sanity in tact! That's a feat in itself. I can hardly wait to see what your new adventure holds. Hooray!

Meanwhile, Ellie misses you already. She wants someone to tell her she's pretty again and you're nowhere to be found!

Blacker Blog said...

That's awesome you arrived safe and sound. I'm glad you finally arrived. Btw, I'm having a boy.

Watch Me As I Grow!

Me Too!!

Marriage Rocks!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Enjoy the music. Requests welcome.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Work in progress

"To be angry is to yield to the influence of Satan. No one can make us angry. It is our choice. If we desire to have a proper spirit with us at all times, we must choose to refrain from becoming angry. I testify that such is possible."

--Thomas S. Monson