Well, I thought I would finally post a bit about my mom's second stay here in Switzerland. We got home and crashed. It took a long time to adjust but we did it and by Saturday we were feeling up for a day trip to Gruyeres. It is a little village in the mountains in Switzerland where much amazing cheese is made. The kind of cheese they make is called Gruyeres. Yes, they have a habit of naming cheese after the place it comes from. Here is my mom and me posing at the bottom of a tall hill that the town is actually located in. You can't drive up to the town (that is common here). You have to park and walk a little ways (not a lot). It was a most amazing day. Perfect weather and temperature.James and Brian when we finally got to the top. I wish the pictures could do this view justice. It was BEAUTIFUL!
Brian and I (a rare non-self portrait of us) standing outside the chateau wall.
James and Brian inside the courtyard of the chateau.
This was the best picture of all of us together. Can you see why I desperately need a new camera?
A view of the surrounding area from a balcony on the chateau.
Looking the other direction. And, yes, there were cowbells clanging in the background.
The best picture of the chateau that I got. Doesn't do it justice at all.
Me in the gardens. The flowers were beautiful and blooming still. I think that Switzerland has the longest growing season ever. It seems like almost anything can grow well here.
Brian helping James quench his thirst. James usually becomes suddenly parched whenever we see a drinking fountain.
Gruyeres is a most picturesque little town. Of course, I kind of think that about all of the places I visit here. It has cobblestone streets and lovely flowers everywhere and plenty of shopping and yummy eating. Can't beat it! My momma and an angelic John-Luke cuddled up and sleeping.
Leaving the chateau grounds.
My two "big boys"
I have to say that I LOVED GRUYERES! It was a beautiful place. We had an awesome time. The kids even cooperated (miracle). We had an awesome lunch of fondue and raclette and I even got a little souvenir. What more could I ask for? And it is only a couple hours from home.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Gruyeres
Labels:
Family,
Outings,
Switzerland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Work in progress
"To be angry is to yield to the influence of Satan. No one can make us angry. It is our choice. If we desire to have a proper spirit with us at all times, we must choose to refrain from becoming angry. I testify that such is possible."
--Thomas S. Monson
--Thomas S. Monson






2 comments:
How fun! Looks like you will have more time to explore such exciting places, sad for us, but I am excited for you guys
So, I thought you were going to be there for two years. Did you re-up? Or was it always 4 years?
Post a Comment