Monday, November 9, 2009

The Cow Festival

On October 3rd, before the break of day, I dropped my mom off at the airport to fly home. Then I went home and went back to bed. Then....we got up to see...the cows come down from the mountains at the St. Cergue Cow Festival (not sure if that is an official name but that is what I'm calling it). It rocked!! They make a super big deal out of the whole thing. There are numerous cow festivals all over Switzerland but this is the one that is closest to us. They decorate the cows with flowers and HUGE bells.Then they parade them down the road with no barriers between the cows and the people (keep an eye on your little ones). There was poop all over the place and noise and food and friends. What else could we ask for?
Check out the video. The cows were really right in front of us and it was super LOUD. James was totally enthralled!


Watching the cows parade.
There was a "band" of cow bell players. They each carried an enourmous cow bell and went clanging down the street with an ancient old guy waving the Swiss flag behind them.
James got his own cow bell. Can you tell he is super excited? Actually, Brian was probably more excited about buying it for him.
They had the big horn blowing people do a little concert. (It is late and I can't remember what these are called. Swiss horns?) Anyway, it was cool.
They had some traditional Swiss dancing.


We had a bit of lunch with our friends and played at the park. They also had a parade of their tractors and then set them out for the kids to climb all over them. James liked that part a lot.
John-Luke slept most of the time!
I ran over a mega pile of poop with the stroller (not on purpose) (Brian cleaned it up). They also had some ponys and cows out for everyone to come look at. James petting the pony.
And they had a few kiddy rides set up that James could not resisit and Brian couldn't say "no."
Needless to say, James was asleep about 3 minutes after getting in the car. Yes, that is Swiss chocolate all over his face!
We will definitely be doing that festival again next year! It was a blast!

8 comments:

Brittany Roscheck said...

That really made me laugh. I like the video!

Stephanie Johnson said...

I thought they did cow parades just in Idaho! :) BTW, I'm doing the potty training for Lance right now -- it's so hard and frustrating (especially being 7 mo. prego). Hopefully he will catch on today...

Tra La La Shelley said...

Maybe I will come for the Cow Festival!! Looks fun and Stinky!!

Blacker Blog said...

I love the messy face! How fun! Your boys are ADORABLE!!

corrychronicles said...

That totally looks fun, if you can call watching cows exciting. Definitely different stuff you get to witness. Love the chocolate covered sleeping James. You know they have had a good day when they look like that.

Emili said...

James is totally a kid now! Fun, but man that was so fast!

Teryl said...

I hope those poor cows don't have to wear those loud bells everyday. But, it did look cool.

Angie&Blake said...

How FUN! You guys must be having a blast living over there! Are you ever gonna want to come back here?? LOL! Oh, I would love to come for a visit!
~Angie

Watch Me As I Grow!

Me Too!!

Marriage Rocks!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Enjoy the music. Requests welcome.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Work in progress

"To be angry is to yield to the influence of Satan. No one can make us angry. It is our choice. If we desire to have a proper spirit with us at all times, we must choose to refrain from becoming angry. I testify that such is possible."

--Thomas S. Monson